Monday, November 2, 2009

Gawd...

Simply have not made any progress on The Kite Runner. Haven't rd past the point i left off fr the Oct 12th post. Damn you Wikipedia?! Made the same mistake as i did with Atonement. Wiki gives the whole doggone plots of the books (turn away eyes! Turn away). With Atonement, Wiki alerted me to the fact that unresolvable things were ahd for characs i was alrdy uninterested in &, for the most part, unsympathetic towards. I figured there was no sense of carthatic feelings ahd for me to be sufficiently motivated to go on. I wasn't about to suffer through the whole thing only to be left more pissed off than ever-- that's what your job is for! I was already annoyed by The Kite Runner's rich brat of a protagonist, Amir, mean-spirited sense of entitlem't, those few chps in, so when Wiki informed me of the pile upon, piled on, betrayals ahead for the good-natured servant boy, Hassan, fr that conscienceless brat...it was a wrap. There is no amount of atonement that would make me like the grown-up Amir. His crimes, too far-reaching; his destructiveness, great.

On the upside, i'm still slowly making my way through Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist. I've been rdg it for a couple of months now-- & i even have a copy that's a 1st edition cover! Also re-rdg Jacqueline Johnson's very excellent, small press published, collect'n of poems A Gathering of Mother Tongues.

No comments: