Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Not a willful churl

trust me, churl has a will all its own & comes when it pleases. Don't get me wrong, Poetry is still one of the priemiere (it has been around since the beginning of time- badum-ching. Could have resisted that) Lit journal out there & i usu get over my irritation with the editors choice of just completely incomprehensible poetry once i find the hidden gems. As could have predicted, i loved Kevin Young's Bling Bling Blues- a humorous take on hip hop culture (though, what part of hip hop culture isn't funny?), w/ lines like:
...Now my diamond shoes
hurting my feet...
I'd like to thank
God, my agent.(wish God was my agent too!)
My teeth went platinum last week.
And Billy Collins is such a, seemingly, effortless master of drawing people into his world of words - the man usually has me w/ just the title of the poem(e.g Evasive Manuevers). His love of words, finding out the meaning and histories of things, comes across in his work. I like how he reminds me of when I was a just a kid learning to read & letters were a mystery to solve. And he makes me glad that it's so effortless now to know things. But not as easy to capture again childhood wonder. I get the feeling he's just a benevolent buddha of a guy. You just want to bask in those spaces between the meaning of whatever he's saying. It's probably a conscious decision to draw us into his life as gently as possible. And i appreciate the kindness.

No comments: