Friday, November 21, 2008

Rattle


I hope that Rattle is the new go-to journal for the 21st Century literati. Due to my current unemployment i've been trying to
make my way through the back issues of the less boring literary journals @ the New York Public Library's main branch on 40th St & 5th Av. I've been slogging my thru the July/Aug. '07 issue of Poetry and i guess in the time since i've been busy living hand-to-mouth and not paying attention to the literary journal world this new Q&A form seem to have sprung up (after the poem the writer then do a Q&A format on the attributes of the poem). Well, i'll tell you right now, i was pretty much tired of it after the first two (Poetry's editors seem to have published all the ones that was sent in). But after I read the third one, I was officially done with it-- though the John Brehm grew on me. Why i keep putting up with this journal at all? Beats me.(Well maybe because I wanted to rd whatever Kevin Young and Billy Collins had sent in). But I'm telling you, I'm pretty sick of all the crap i have to slog thru before rding anything that isn't completely tiresome. (Let me say this to cover myself)Not that there aren't some really great poems in it. I'm usually better off rding the fiction and commentaries in the back. Those were all really good. Naeem Murr & Michael Lewis both had really imaginative and humorous pieces. Murr's My Poet, about a fiction writer and his live-in girlfriend whose a poet, and Lewis' faux diary transcription of a frustrated coaching assistant: Poetry In Motion: A Diary of the Collapse of the 2006 New York Giants.... Anyway, this is all just to say that as soon as i get a job I'm going to subscribe to Rattle. In the meantime I need to put a subscription suggestion in w/ the NYPL.

No comments: