Friday, September 25, 2009

Holy Crap!

Been busy-- w/ rdg, poetry & job related stuff-- & so haven't really picked up the The Village Voice in a while. Wow, there's a sh**loada movies coming out this Fall! Oscar time again, I guess. Anyway, it's bad enough i haven't gotten around to seeing Ponyo-- great reviews are motivatg me-- bcuz i haven't been hangin w/ my usu tween crowd (aka my nieces), but i've been rdg reviews on Michael Moore's, Jane Campion's & also Lars von Trier's newest (controversial of course) films. I figured i wouldn't make up my mind to go see Quentin Tarantino's newest movie, though i'm a huge Kill Bill Vol. I & II fan (I have a lot of self control, & little money, so i'll wait till Inglorious Basterds comes out on DVD).

There are a bunch of books that i wasn't too motivated to rd before, but am startg to feel the motivat'n bug now that they're bieng, or have been, made into movies-- superficial i know. No matter how hard Oprah tried, all i know about Cormac Mccarthy's The Road is that it seems to be somewhat similar to Stephen King's The Dark Tower series of books: I (The Gunslinger), II (The Drawing of the Three), III (The Wastelands), IV (Wizard and Glass), V (Wolves of the Calla), VI (Song of Sussanah), & VII (The Dark Tower). I know that both authors ideas are set in a post-apocalyptic world. And both have a man and boy traveling together (eventually King's Gunslinger, Roland, acquires some more traveling companions besides the boy Jake).

These books possess an overwhelmgly profound wealth of literary feats-- to this day i'm still uncoverg King's literary references. It's not only "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" by Robert Browning, but Rhea of the Coos fr Dark Tower 4: Wizard and Glass, refers Robert Frost's "The Witch of Coos." King's work tend to echo epical poetic traditions themselves, w/ their titanic themes of journey, revelation and finally, sometimes, redemption. (The Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption short story is one of my favorites of the written word-to-movie genre-- O how i love Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman in The Shawshank Redemption!).

Anyway, before this post turns into a love fest to Stephen King, another book w/ a movie version coming out that i've been hesitating to rd is Push by Sapphire-- poet extraodinaire. I've been to see her rd in person (a tiny dynamo!). I may bail on rdg it though (prob the movie too). These books w/ their glut of painful human suffergs, especially the injustices committed against childhood-- because i was a child myself, once-- are just too much to rd sometimes. The written word is alive to me. It took me a while to recover fr such books as Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, When Things Get Worse by Barry Callaghan. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm off to the Poets House grand opening tomorrow, Yay! I'm going to miss the old Soho locat'n-- fond memories of workshop & rdgs. But I love the Hudson River locat'n (even better memories of summers down by the water-- especially those great evts i managed to make it to along that long stretch of the Hudson River Park:

September 25, 11am–5pm Invocation of the Muse: Poets & Musicians Toast the New Poets House

No comments: